Friday, March 16, 2007

Rule #1: You Don't Belittle a Mariachi's Cock

I've never been much of a clotheshorse, as anyone who has ever met me can see, but sometimes you just can't resist. On an impulse yesterday, I bought myself this hand-stitched leather mariachi belt.

(By "hand-stitched" I believe the salesman meant "machine-stitched," and by "leather" he clearly meant "cardboard." By "salesman," I mean "con artist.")

Still, pretty frigggin' cool, no? I'm sure the buckle could stop a bullet, and it's decorated front, sides and back with a fearsome-looking fighting cock. I was so pleased with it I wore it home. Came bounding through the door and hiked up my shirt to show the Missus my new purchase.

"Nice chicken," she says.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the missus was frightened of the giant chicken with the new belt who leapt in front of her. There are no more soothing words to a chicken.

She thought fast, and it might have saved her life.

Burro Hall said...

Interesting. My sense at the time was that she had seriously endangered it.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's because you're a stupid giant chicken

Burro Hall said...

Don't you have any work to do, Franker?

D.S. said...

Now that you have the belt you had better get that guitarron!

D.S. said...

And, if you do get the guitarron, I will send you my how-to-play-the-guitarron video, in Spanish. Muy auténtico!

Burro Hall said...

I'm leaning towards the bajo sexto, but go ahead and talk me out of it.

D.S. said...

I'll talk you into it, great instrument. But hard to play.

Here is a video to get you started, all the basics:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2G8Gy33nxEE

Burro Hall said...

I was thinking I'd just tune it like a 12-string guitar. Or would that make it even harder? I can barely play the tambourine, so the difference between difficult and really difficult isn't actually much of an issue for me.