Monday, April 02, 2007

This is the Internet, Amigos

There was an interesting survey released over the weekend about Mexicans' attitudes towards science and technology. Big majorities consult their horoscopes daily, and consider astrologers and psychics to be "scientists" - and this is mostly because astrologers and psychics appear on television, and 80% of the public assumes that everything they see on television is true. (And it is, isn't it?)

Only a third of Mexicans have regular access to the internet (which explains this site's low traffic numbers - though we're big with males between 21-39 which, if I remember correctly from my final days at 60 Minutes, is really all that matters). That's not so surprising, but fully one-third of Mexicans surveyed had never heard of the internet. Weird, since I assume it's been mentioned on tv from time to time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, if one third of the Mexicans had never heard of Al Gore, you might be on to something. (With apologies to AG, 'cause I really like him.)

Burro Hall said...

I'd guess that number is closer to 50%. And if you're suggesting Gore really claimed to invent the internet, I'm afraid I'm going to have to challenge you to a duel.