Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Shakey History

I spent the day writing a segment about the Spanish Conquest for this tv thingamajiggy I'm doing. It's a subject I know about as well as any American 12th grader (or Mexican three-year-old), but you know what they say about journalism: the great ones play through the stupid. In the end I might just run eight or nine minutes of "Cortez the Killer".


I can tell you from my own research that most historians dispute Young's assertion that Cortes "come dancin' across de water, mon," believing instead that he took a boat of some sort, and did not have a Jamaican accent.

One thing they all agree on though, is that it's not spelled with a "z".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude-

Another great version is Dave Matthews with Warren Haynes for the Central Park concert.

GB

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSUF7v2kJE


GB

Burro Hall said...

And the video's better, too. Okay, we'll run that one instead. But you're not getting a producer credit, so don't ask.