Friday, June 01, 2007

Life Lessons

I've been hard at work this evening, trying to finish up last Sunday's Times before the arrival of this Sunday's, and reading the lengthy profile of Judd Apatow - I wouldn't have bothered, usually, but I've developed an unhealthy obssession with highly-accomplished people still in their 30s. (Neil Armstrong: the first 38-year-old on the Moon! Thomas Jefferson: the 33-year-old author of the Declaration of Independence! Don't get me started on Jesus.)

Anyway, what struck me was this:

Unlike previous experiences, Apatow didn’t lose his temper. ...I asked Apatow how he had kept his cool. “I finally learned something maybe most people learn as a kid,” he said. “If you want someone to come around to your point of view, it’s not wise to curse and then tell them they’re idiots.”
Seriously, I had no idea. Is this true? And if it is, why was I never told about this?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would have told you but you're an idiot

Anonymous said...

Stephen Bishop tried many times to tell you that!

M

Anonymous said...

C'mon Frank,

How many times have I pleaded with you to be nice? Think of the successes we could have had together. But you had to be the smug, surly, shut-up saying Frank.

You better do something fast,too. The bar gets a lot higher for you at the end of the month. I'm thinking of making a late summer/early fall run at success. I think I'll get there under the wire. Imagine, 39, at the top of my game in the crazy factory, but a dull ache pervades my soul. Suddenly I get a call. It's my old college friend, Jim Krebs, who's now with Homeland Security. He's got a job for me...

Burro Hall said...

Shut up, Frank. You achieved your life's goal - sleeping in an actual bed as opposed to a mattress on the floor - almost three years ago.

That what I admire so much about you, amigo. A lot of people would have rested on that laurel. Not you. You keep your feet on the ground, but keep reachin' for that rainbow!

(PS: Nice job including Krebsy's name...how long before he googles himself?)

Anonymous said...

I take offense, sir, at the implication that my "off the floor by 40" mantra reflects a lifetime goal. It is merely an incremental part of a multi-pronged approach that will leave 30-something failures, like yourself , gasping.

Burro Hall said...

I stand corrected - I didn't mean to imply that getting off the floor was your life's goal; rather, it's what you wanted to accomplish with your first 40 years and, God as your witness, you've done it, Sir!

The thought of what you might do with your next four decades weakens my knees...