Saturday, August 04, 2007

Chariots of Ire

If you happen to be in Swampscott on Sunday, stop by the new high school for the SHS Track Team Reunion. Even if you were never on the team, it's worth it just to see a bunch of paunchy, balding 40-year-olds engaged in "various relay races, as well as jumping and throwing events ...sack races and other relays for all ages and abilities," and possibily even losing those events to their own children. (In fact, we're offering a modest reward to anyone sending photos or video to the email address at right.) Regrettably, I won't be there, but my ex-teammates should know that I'll spend the day being paunchy, balding and 40 in their honor.

Now, interestingly, if you compare the announcement above to the slightly older version cached by Google, you'll notice they've dropped the plan to "dedicate" the new track. (And kudos to the Swampscott Reporter for Stalinistically airbrushing the offending passage! Maybe change the name to "Zwampskot" while we're at it, komrades?) In case you're wondering what the controversy is, well, I didn't want to say anything until it was official - I mean, it's not the reason I gave such a generous donation...I just wanted to give something back to the community, to the kids - but the Athletic Department has insisted on naming the track in my honor. I'm a little embarassed about it, especially because I'd already made plans to go to a cookout around here instead. So because I won't be there, they've cancelled the ceremony - they were a little snippy about it, actually - but that doesn't mean I'm not honored, indeed humbled, all the same.

Go Blue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It brings a tear to my eye to see you finally get what you deserve. Sadly, we won't be there either. We, too, have better things to do.

M.

Josh said...

Was that done using a site like the church sign website?

Burro Hall said...

You'll see tomorrow...

Josh said...

Well, I was dragged there by Big Man and Mrs. Big Man, and it was at the new OUTDOOR track. I never got a chance to see the new Koughandome. Oh well. I did enjoy the Pascucci Coliseum, though.