Monday, September 03, 2007

Worth Their Weight in Tacos al Pastor

I shouldn't be surprised that a country with a per-capital income one-fourth that of the US would have some different ideas about what constitutes celebrity extravagance, but this piece from El Universal yesterday, cataloging the Baby Clothes of the Rich and Famous, is weird on a number of levels, especially given the affluence of the paper's readership. Think of Dr Evil demanding one million dollars!! not to destroy the Earth in Austin Powers. Julianne Moore's daughter wears thirty-five dollar sneakers!! Matt Damon bought his kid forty-two dollar sandals!! I'm a little out of my depth here, but maybe some of my non-rich-and-famous friends could confirm that these are pretty run of the mill prices?

Weirdest, though, are the comparisons used to put this Caligula-esque decadence in the Mexican perspective: Suri Cruise's sixty-two dollar!! blanket would buy you "85 kilos of tortillas." Zahara Jolie-Pitt's fifty-five dollar!! bathing suit "would translate into approximately 10 liters of gasoline." The designer baby-bag favored by Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Garner? "Exactly 4,600 bread rolls."

For what it's worth, this diamond-encrusted skull by the British artist Damien Hirst could buy 5,500,000 bottles of tequila, or 825 million eggs.

6 comments:

snowyco said...

dang, I read through two whole paragraphs to find out about Tacos al Pastor in Queretaro, and instead: nada, zip, bupkis, nuttin' ... I was hoping to score some good good street food, especially if they include roasted pineapple.

Burro Hall said...

If I may make a modest proposal, perhaps we could just cook and eat one of the Jolie-Pitt urchins?

There's a fantastic place on Avenida 57, about 100 yard up from Ezekiel Montes, on the left. I can't recall the name, but they'll hook you up.

snowyco said...

urchin on a spit...

Twisted, Frank, really twisted, (but I can't stop laughing).

Anonymous said...

The sad fact is that that is the cost of some childrens shoes and clothes, that is why I don't shop at name brand stores. When you have to buy shoes and sneakers for four kids who are only going to out grow them spending thirty to forty dollars is out of control. Heck don't even spend that on my own shoes (mostly because I have to buy the kids shoes and clothing).

Burro Hall said...

Okay, but what the hell are you going to do with 300 kilos of tortillas?

Anonymous said...

Again I have four growing kids we go through a lot of food