Friday, October 26, 2007

How I Won the War

The first non-manual-labor job I ever had was an unpaid summer internship 20 years ago at the Institute for Defense and Disarmament Studies, which was just around the corner from Boston College. When they write the definitive history of the Cold War, my twelve weeks of phone-answering and data entry will probably be edited out to make space for more Reagan-worship, but I didn't do it for the glory - I did it to meet the kind of chicks you couldn't find at BC, which earlier in the year had paid Oliver North $25,000 to come speak on campus. The highlight of my summer was answering a phone call from Jackson Browne; the lowlight, hanging up on what I believed to be a prank caller saying he was Jackson Browne.

Anyway, my first boss, IDDS founder Randall Forsberg, died last week, though apparently no one noticed until today. Jackson Browne was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hint to any member of my family: Jackson Browne's CD "Running On Empty".

M