Monday, October 01, 2007

Mr. Cool

Today's NYTimes has a front-page article titled The Everyman Who Exposed Tainted Toothpaste, which we assumed would be a blow by blow account of a boozy night on the town we had with the author and our college roommate/frequent Burro Hall commenter Frank C. about six years ago. After what had been a perfectly amiable dinner on Smith St., Frank began obsessing about the toxicity of toothpaste, and how everyone - the corporations, the FDA, the Trilateral Commission and, most of all, "you spineless media jackasses!" - was covering it up. The evening ended with awkward handshakes and separate taxi cabs, and I made a mental note to become more involved in seating arrangements whenever friends were visiting from out of town.

Instead, the piece is all about some Panamanian guy we’ve never heard of. Very much worth reading, of course, but the real story is still waiting to be told.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where there's smoke, there's fire baby. I'm sure you meant your posting to be hurtful to me, but I found it validating. My siren call for justice in toothpaste could not be ignored forever. Maybe next time when you're about to cruelly minimize one of my ideas after I've had some loudmouth soup, you'll hesitate.

Burro Hall said...

Actually, I meant it as a compliment. When you're right - which, as far as I can recall, would be once in 20 years - you're right. This is why no one ever says nice things to you, franker.

Jim said...

actually nobody say nice things about him either.

Anonymous said...

Screw you guys. I tell Franker what a great guy he is all the time

Burro Hall said...

Apparently that's because he lets you use his computer.