Sunday, November 11, 2007

WAR IS OVER!

I've been trying without any success to get the WGA to clarify the parameters of their strike for me (have I mentioned that I've never paid any dues? I'm sure its just a coincidence that they don't return my calls.) But then this afternoon I'm reading the news and, just to pick a few at random, I come across this, this and this, all written by striking WGA members, all appearing in national newspapers, and all, presumably, earning them renumeration. And so it occurs to me: it's the spoken word, not the written word, that is covered by the strike. If what you write is read out loud by someone other than you, then it's pencils down. But if you're putting words on a page or on a screen - what most of us would refer to as "writing" - the Writers Guild has no problem with you doing it during the writers strike.

So as long as you promise not to read anything on this site out loud* until the end of the strike, I can't see any reason why we can't declare The Man as having been stuck-to, and put this whole ugly business behind us. And we'll still walk away with the same deal the Guild will get after walking the picket line all winter.

And now....I have nothing to say. Go about your business.

*[Note to Frank C: Lip-moving is okay, just shhhhh.]

No comments: