Sunday, January 06, 2008

Pitchers Duel

It looks like we won't be able to see Boston-born Yankees fan Mike Wallace pitching against Roger Clemens tonight, but hopefully someone will put it on YouTube. Personally, I totally believe Clemens. I've only been 40 for a few months, and already I've put on 15 pounds of solid muscle. It's just something that happens to men's bodies, people.

(Quick Mike Wallace baseball anecdote: The morning after the Sox broke their 86-year Series drought in 2004, I was coming up the elevator with Wallace (b. 1918), and all I could think to say was, "So, was this better than the last time?" He just kept staring straight ahead, so I assumed he just hadn't heard me. The elevator gets to the ninth floor, and he does his usual, courtly, "After you..." which he then follows with a not-so-quietly muttered, "Prick.")

In non-steriodal sports news, one of the oldest workin' men in show business, Rodolfo "El Pana" Rodríguez, age 56, will be taking on three bulls in Plaza Mexico this afternoon. All the juice in the world wouldn't make a difference.

5 comments:

'Eddie Willers' said...

NEWSFLASH!
6.20PM Central Time

'El Pana' just got gored by his last bull. That old toro got him good! They say he wasn't badly injured but it sure looks dramatic enough on the replay!

Burro Hall said...

It was heartbreaking - like watching your dad fall down the stairs.

Anonymous said...

I want more Mike Wallace stories.

Burro Hall said...

Shut up, Franker.

Anonymous said...

I'm really not kidding. They're better than stories about yourself.