Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Humble Suggestion For Improving the Local News

Last night there was a total eclipse of the moon visible here in Querétaro - something all the papers dutifully covered with front-page photographs this morning. Hey, you know what would have been great? Maybe a short little piece in yesterday's paper - something to the effect of "Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight...Don't Miss It!" The news-consuming public - particularly those of us who were sitting at home watching a Clint Eastwood movie while the moon, easily visible from our roof, was going dark overhead - might have found that interesting.

8 comments:

S said...

Not to rub it in....but it was very cool....next one visible in this hemisphere is in 2010---mark your calendar....s

Burro Hall said...

Which part of that was not rubbing it in?

s said...

I think I have a reputation to uphold...

Anonymous said...

The one in 2010 is in December (don't want you to miss it).
It's too bad you missed this one, it really was spectacular! We didn't even have to go outside in the 18 degree heat. We just watched it through the skylights.
Want a phone call before the next one??

M

Burro Hall said...

Not really. Though if there's, like, a giant asteroid heading for central Mexico or something, yeah, shoot me an email. Or I'll just read about it the next day.

The worst part was that I was actually out when the eclipse was starting, and there were a couple of people up the street taking pictures of the moon, but I thought they were taking pictures of that statue of San Diego on horseback.

Lousy astronomy buffs.

Anonymous said...

If you'd taken your eyes off the telly for a second and looked out the window......Don't tell me the movie was THAT good!

Anonymous said...

The newspaper can't give you common sense; which is what would have led most people to see why crowds were gathered in the street taking pictures. ;)

Burro Hall said...

No one's been able to give me common sense. Just ask my wife.

I only ask that the newspapers give me basic information. When I see a pair of tourists taking pictures of a statue, my first thought should be, "gee, there must be a rare lunar eclipse tonight," sure, but I'd still appreciate a little heads-up from the local press.