Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Marcos Pérez es Tevye!"

It's hard to think of a less Jewish place than Querétaro. Saudi Arabia, maybe, and probably Antarctica. This is a town where a very smart Mexican friend of ours once asked me if it was true that New York was so expensive because having so many rich Jews living there drives up all the prices. It wasn't said with any particular prejudice, she was just trying to confirm what she'd heard. (I explained that the two things were unrelated.) So when it came time this year for the big bilingual high school to put on a play, I have to say I'm intrigued by the choice: Fiddler on the Roof. We're considering checking it out later this week, for the complete Mexi-Yiddish experience.

6 comments:

s said...

You must attend this play and report back as a public service to me, Krellinator and O$....besides, I've always wondered how Yiddish sounds with a spanish accent.....

O$ said...

Lets hope they spice the Mexican version up. Who wouldn't want to see some hot Hodel on Tzeitel action, huh? And five pesos says that Tevya's milk cart is slammed and rollin on 22's.

And speaking of out of context Jewish accents: As a guy related to the only Jews in Macon, Georgia, I can tell you that no matter how funny it may sound to you and me, it's nothing but an aural invitation to an ass-kicking in some locales, you know what I mean?

O$

K said...

Funny. Fiddler on the Roof is playing in India too - in a Hindi version!
"Krellinator's" mom sent me a link to this site:
http://www.forward.com/articles/fiddler-without-borders-01352

Anonymous said...

There are 10,000 jewish people in Mexico, and half of them live in Mexico City, in Queretaro there are probably two.

Jim said...

I always assumed your oft-repeated explanation that "The Jews drove me out of New York" had to do with the cost of living. I guess it's possible that you were talking about our control of the media, but your explanation that "the two things are unrelated" sounds like revisionist history. For the record,you being driven from the media was long over due as far as the Trilateral Commission's Board of Governors is concerned.

Burro Hall said...

To clarify, I never said I was driven out of New York by "the Jews." I was driven out by a handful of specific Jews, who I'll be happy to name if you want to send me an email. Oh, sure, there were a few WASPS involved and even a Serbian Orthodox, but everyone knows they're just hired muscle.