Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pushin' Dope for The Man

As I'm walking up my street yesterday, I pass a Mexican-looking gentleman who then turns and calls after me. "Sir? Sir? Excuse me, do you speak English?" He comes jogging up to me. "Hi. Um, look, I don't know you, don't mean to imply anything, you know? Uh, but, uh, you know where I can buy some weed?"

"Why of course I don't, officer!"

"Naw, man, no, no, it's not like that," he says. "No, see, I'm from Texas." Pause. Apparently, that was the entire explanation.

A few hours later, there's a knock on the door and two PGR agents holding up badges. I couldn't really hear them over the sound of my own piss splashing down my leg, but they seemed to be talking about cars rather than drugs. This only made me more nervous, since I did witness an act of vehicular vandalism a few weeks ago that we'll write more about after the statute of limitations passes. After asking them to repeat themselves slowly and clearly, it turned out they were investigating an auto theft...from thirty-two days ago. "Did you see anything unusual?" Back on May 8th? Hmmm. Not that I recall, officer. Though now that you mention it, there has been a suspicious-looking character wandering the area looking for drugs.

2 comments:

Gary Faules said...

Damn! Now THAT's funny!

Ian said...

Commenting on an old post I know, but thought you would like this.

In the late 80's I lived in Queretaro (teaching English) for a few months, and as a blue eyed foreigner was given the exact same line whilst walking along the street one evening not far from the main plaza in the centro. I wonder if you got stopped by the same cop, still holding out for a bust using this rather piss poor technique.

Great blog by the way, I haven't been back to Qro since leaving over 20 years ago and you have brought back fond memories of Mexico - thanks for blogging!