Monday, July 07, 2008

The Graduate

I was never much of a student, but in my entire checkered academic career I only managed to get two Fs on my report card - one in English, the other in Spanish. So of course I went on to major in English and eventually moved to a Spanish-speaking country. I mentioned this to my high school girlfriend a year ago, forgetting that Swampscott is the kind of town where your high school girlfriend and your ninth grade Spanish teacher will almost certainly be friends with each other a quarter century later. So a couple of months ago I got an email from my teacher saying that she couldn't remember ever giving anyone an F, and that I must be misremembering.

But - for better or worse (and if we're voting, I'd say worse) - she also kept all her grade books, which she eventually dug out of storage somewhere. Fantastic! So here, in my ninth-grade Spanish teacher's own words, are my individual test scores for the 1981-82 academic year:

Term 1 (with [a different teacher who left after one month]) you had grades of 30,34,40,60. I came in a gave you a 60 for the term (benefit of the doubt and the transition)

Term II grades, 68,70,20,58 you got a 52 for the term (took back the benefit of the doubt)

Term III grades 79,100,80,96,91,100,10 (The ten was on a test of the preterite) and an 80 for the term (you were finally getting serious)

Term IV 70,95,67,84, (overconfident, did less work?) term grade 79, Final Exam C- and it looks like a D for the year.

Not only did I get an F second term, but my first term grade was actually 41. Out of 100. All of this proves that the grades you get in school have nothing to do with real life, kids. So when some grown-up - your parents, the principal or a police officer - try to tell you you should study hard and not do drugs, don't you listen to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you need any more grades, I have ALL your report cards from K through 12. And your College grades, too.

M

Julie said...

As a teacher, I'm VERY impressed that your teacher still has all of her grade books. I'm tempted each year to purge EVERYTHING once the little darlings depart from my room on the last day! I'm also impressed that she remembered you. I have kids from LAST YEAR that come back to visit, and my brain whirs with "Oh God, I know I know this kid....Mary? No, Suzy? No....." until I come out with "Wow! You've changed so much HONEY! It's so great to see you, SWEETHEART!"

Burro Hall said...

She also remembered that "there was a Christine," but she wasn't sure if she was my sister or mother.