Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cold Day in Hell

Sent in by our acting general counsel, Josh:

Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists again, exactly 14,706 days after their famous protest gesture at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics.

But this time they were clasped in victory and not burdened with pain.

"They said it would be a cold day in hell before a black man became president," said Carlos, the bronze medalist in the 200 meters at Mexico City. "Look out the window - it sure looks like a cold day in hell out there to me."

Watching Barack Obama become the first African-American president from their hotel room in Boston with their wives, both men wept. Carlos called the event "the greatest day of my life."

1 comment:

Jorge Arturo said...

To be honest, I also belived that it was impossible, even when Obama was candidate I believe racism was a winner, of course that several of the votes agains Obama were because of race.

But gringos, you surprised me, congratulations, and good luck.

We here (in mexico) want good honest politicians, I hope that will not be impossible.