Friday, January 16, 2009

Will No One Rid Me of This Troublesome President?

Shorter Bush valedictory speech: "I made monumentally bad decisions, but ya gotta admit, I made them."

We're not sure when we first noticed this weird tick, but it was probably when he pompously anointed himself The Decider. He seems to genuinely believe that the thing that sets his job apart from everyone else's is that he's got to make some decisions. People make decisions all the time, George - police officers, heart surgeons, soccer goalies...hell, we make dozens of decisions every day here, it's just that the American people have not been so foolish as to entrust us with anything that matters. Watching his endless series of exit interviews in which he pats himself on the back for making "tough calls," while refusing to acknowledge how badly he made them is just maddening. (Also, since he famously goes to bed at 9:00 every night, these calls can't really be all that tough, can they?)

Is it just us, or does time actually seem to be slowing down as Jan. 20 approaches?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not just you. I feel as though we are in a time warp and things are moving backward. Why can't he just keep his mouth shut, pack his bags and get the Hell out of town?
Enough already!!!

M

Not Pancho Villa said...

Somehow I came across your blog and at first I thought it was some sort of good, different perspective from an American on my country. I mean because we share some views on the way the average Mexican behaves. Me, having a double-engineering degree from Brown and a 4.0 GPA from Texas state, wouldn't fit that stereotype.
One thing I do notice, though, you have nothing nice to say about anyone. You hate your president and you hate my people.
Having said that, get the fuck out of my land and go join the brain-dead majority of ignorants that put Obama in office. And make it quick.

Burro Hall said...

Technically, I only hate my president until Tuesday at noon. What makes you think I hate your people? (Unless by "my people" you mean "people educated in Texas," of which you seem to fit the general profile.)

fledermaus said...

Re: Sr. Villa's observations, I'm wondering if there's some sort of cultural issue with your blog. While I frequently find your blog entries highly entertaining, when I print one and bring it home to my Mexican wife (only one, btw), she is frequently mildly irritated. I've yet to figure out why. Maybe fuel for someone's PhD thesis??

I've given up hating the prez, it just gave me a rash, anyway, which should be easing up any day now.

And please don't leave for el Norte, some of us, at least will miss your posts.

Burro Hall said...

I'm not sure it's a Mexican thing - many men's wives find me irritating - not least of all my own.