Friday, April 17, 2009

This is the Morning Song That King David Sang

Big birthday greetings to our Dad up in Massachusetts today! At age 66, he's been officially retired for one year now! So of course we called him at work, and he was in some marathon meeting or something, and since it's already 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, we're not hanging around the Burro Hall editorial offices much longer (2-por-1 hora feliz cervezas don't drink themselves, you know). But to cover our asses, here's a rendition of "Las Mañanitas," which is the dirge Mexicans sing to each other on their birthdays because they love to feel melancholy.


Did you make it to the end without hanging yourselves? Sweet, weeping Jesus. The forced jollity of the party hats somehow made us even sadder. Anyway, because we take our educational mission seriously (insofar as it allows us tax-exempt status), these are the lyrics:

This is the morning song that King David sang
Because today is your saint's day we're singing it for you
Wake up, my dear, wake up, look it is already dawn
The birds are already singing and the moon has set

How lovely is the morning in which I come to greet you
We all came with joy and pleasure to congratulate you
The morning is coming now, the sun is giving us its light
Get up in the morning, look it is already dawn

The day you were born all the flowers were born
On the baptismal font the nightingales sang
I would like to be the sunshine to enter through your window
to wish you good morning while you're lying in your bed

I would like to be a Saint John I would like to be a Saint Peter
To sing to you with the music of heaven
Of the stars in the sky I have to lower two for you
One with which to greet you and the other to wish you goodbye

This is actually a remarkably complicated song, considering little children are expected to sing it at birthday parties. American kids are going to have to ditch "Happy Birthday to You" if they want to stay competitive in the world.

Update: Our sister's birthday was yesterday, so please click "Play" one more time. Sorry. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance the singer looked a bit like Jon Lovitz....nah, couldn't be.

I've always been impressed with the enthusiasm people put into singing this song. Myself, after I get past "el Rey David" I start fading away because for the life of me I can never remember any of the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

F
I now know I raised you with a good value system.Never sacrifice 2 por 1 hora feliz for anyone...except your Mother.
(just in case she reads this comment)
Don't lower that second star quite yet. I need more time for estate planning.
D