Friday, May 08, 2009

Casing the Joint

Because every quarantine is an opportunity, criminals in Querétaro have been using the swine flu scare as a chance to gather some data of their own. Calling people at home on the pretext that it's a Health Dept survey, the scammers pump the respondents for household information, especially concerning the comings and goings of every family member. In the end they should have - just like real epidemiologists - a color-coded map of the neighborhood showing which houses are likely to be in a state of break-and-enterability at various hours of the day.

And people say Mexico's response to the flu hasn't been proactive enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of your blog (really, I am!), but can you find something else to write about? Less with the Swine Flu but keep the witty, incisive, biting sarcasm that we all love. Yeah. Something like that. If you're open to suggestions, let me know.

Burro Hall said...

Of course I'm open to suggestions - I'll far the whole thing out to you, if you're up for it.

The problem is I'm far from Mexico at the moment. Is there anything else going on there?