Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Children's Treasury of Bleeding Drunkards

Regular readers probably know that, when it comes to bullfighting, we consider "I'm rooting for the bull!" to be synonymous with "I'm deliberately missing the point!" But running with the bulls is another story. There, our sympathies lie entirely with the majestic beasts, though this is mostly by default, motivated by our extreme hatred of throngs of drunken tourists. Here, then, is a selection of press photos from last week's San Fermines in Pamplona, in which the toros bravos score a few points off the amateurs on en route to being slain by professionals later in the day.





















(This one below is our personal favorite, not for the guy splayed across the bull's horns, but for the guy standing about six inches away, holding the morning newspaper and, it would seem, not even flinching. Our guess is that it's José Thomás.)







11 comments:

Dave said...

Geeze, a bit of carnage there...looks like the bulls won round one. The tip of that one horn looks dangerously close to some sensitive tissues-my grandfather spent his later years visiting a urologist after turning his back on a farm bull, and it didn't even have pointy horns.

I'm with the bulls too. Boys will be boys, but there's a thousand other more sensible ways to prove yourself if necessary.

Burro Hall said...

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that the only reason I've never been to San Fermin, despite it being the kind of thing that seems right up my alley, is that there's no way I could go there and not run with the bulls, all evidence that's it's a bad idea to the contrary. That guy with the horn's tip pressing against the family jewels? That's so me if I ever went there.

Anonymous said...

How is this seriously a challenge? I've seen footage of this event. Those bulls aren't running all that fast. Exactly what is this a test of? That being said, I think Nike is missing a big opportunity to market a new pair of Running with the Bulls quasi-athletic footware (i.e. the Pamplosions, or the San Ferminators).

Burro Hall said...

Well, I think the pictures sort of answer the "how is this a challenge" question, but yeah, the dirty secret of the event is that the majority of the runners never even see the bulls. But since the only way I'd do it is wearing a suit of armor, chances are the bulls would catch up with me. Even in my Nikes.

Anonymous said...

wow. alcohol is SUCH a bad drug.

Anonymous said...

they have a running with the bulls event in San Miguel de Allende too -- much closer to Queretaro -- if you wanted to try it out. I remember they advertised big bulls from Michoacan were going to charge around town. Did not seem like a good place to be while bulls charged around, I left for Queretaro...

Anonymous said...

I doubt that the man with the paper is Jose Thomas. He would be running away from these bulls because they haven't been bled to death before he get to see them.
Good for the bulls! May they be as lucky in the ring!!!

M

Burro Hall said...

Uh...yeah. See original comment about missing the point. But in case you're keeping score, all the bulls are dead now. Several at the hands of Jose Thomas, in fact.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for him! He killed half dead bulls!
A real hero (not to mention how brave he is!)

M

Burro Hall said...

I have to admit, when you first announced you were giving up meat, I said, "oh, she'll never last." But the year's half over and you're sticking to it! I really underestimated you.

Anonymous said...

I only eat meat from cows that died of old age.

M