Sunday, April 25, 2010

Near-Death in the Afternoon

We hard a hard day today - though not nearly this hard.

Spanish matador Jose Tomas, one of the world's most famous and dramatic bullfighters, was severely gored by a half-ton bull in a Mexican arena and is in critical condition, doctors said Sunday.

Tomas is expected to survive after undergoing more than three hours of emergency surgery overnight following his injury Saturday afternoon.

"There has been slight improvement, but he's still in grave condition," Dr. Geronimo Aguayo said in a statement released by Tomas' hospital in the central Mexican city of Aguascalientes.

The bull, named Navegante, gored Tomas in the groin and lifted him in the air before a horrified crowd during a corrida at the Monumental bullring in Aguascalientes. The attack left a 6-inch-long gash in Tomas' left thigh, severing the artery. He lost a large amount of blood.

Tomas, 34, has survived more than a dozen similar attacks, the first, in 1994, at this very same venue. Tomas hails from a small town near Madrid in the heart of Spain's bull-rearing ranchland, but much of his early career evolved in Mexico.

To aficionados, Tomas is a mesmerizing figure in the bullring, an artful and daring master of the ritual that is part of Spain's national patrimony and popular in many parts of Latin America.

He almost singlehandedly revived the spectacle in Spain, where it had been declining in audience for years until Tomas came out of an early retirement in 2007. He thrills spectators by seemingly putting himself in repeated danger, challenging the beast with calm command and precise choreography.

As he lay bleeding profusely Saturday in the Aguascalientes stadium, a call went out on loudspeakers pleading for urgent blood donations. Scores of people rushed to donate.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I correct in assuming the bull was not declared the winner and thus did not leave the arena alive?

Burro Hall said...

I think that's a fair assumption, yes.

Anonymous said...

Doctors at bullrings are a special kind of doctors. They are experts on this kind of injuries. There were 7 of them. Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrnjTtexQBM

Anonymous said...

Dear Burro my comment may not be referred to your post but this is my story I'm from Queretaro but have been living in Texas for quite a bit nowadays the white population (not all of them but the majority) is becoming sooo intolerant in this state (at least) I critize the failures of the mexican goverment as well as I do it with the american one(paying my taxes on time I though would give me the right to do it) and I always have a response from an american friend or coworker saying "If you don't like the US why are u here" is ot something wrong on pointing tha failures of our goverments?? I did it all the time in Mexico and nobody seemed to be upset about my comment..Thanks I love your blog by the way!!

Burro Hall said...

People of all nations are welcome - indeed, encouraged - to criticize anything they want here. Come by any time and unload!

Anonymous said...

In this cases, the bull is indeed a winner, a really though bull, so he may live, to procreate more bulls like it, so he now has a better live, in which it only has to eat and have bull babies

Jorge Arturo said...

I'm Queretano in Queretaro, and I welcome criticism, if we prohibited criticism we are not progressing, we have to face reality, and improve, the other is mediocre, "if you don't like it go" is stupid, "if you don't like it, DO SOMETHING to improve" is a better answer I believe.

Criticism is one of the reasons I follow the Burro Hall

Anonymous said...

If he's such a great Matador, why is he always getting hurt. Seems to me he's pretty sloppy in what he's doing. A truely great one would be daring but wouldn't let the bull get the best of him.
GO BULLS!

M

Burro Hall said...

It probably has something to do with engaging in an insanely dangerous activity several times a week. That's just a guess.

Of course, we might also ask why, if the bull is so noble and intelligent, his head is sitting in a taxidermist's office in Zacatecas right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Jorge Arturo I think the same way you do and If I had the way to improve things in my community I would for sure do it...but I don't I guess I just have to learn around which people can open myself and ahich not...