Sunday, October 03, 2010

The First Draft of History

Yesterday was the 42ns anniversary of the 1968 Tlatelolco Massacre, in which the Mexican Army clashed with unarmed (or, at worst, lightly-armed) students and protesters, and opened up on them like Sonny Corleone at the tollbooth. El Universal ran a small copy of its Oct 3, 1968 front page yesterday, which refers to the army standing tall against "agitators and terrorists." The photo in the middle is of "innocent women and children protected by the army," during the surprise sniper attack on the army.


We suppose the best thing we can say is that El Universal deserves credit for not flushing this one down the memory hole.

5 comments:

victor said...

I am ashamed to say I didn't know about this day.We were in a cab in Oaxaca and in a major Holland Tunnel
type fuck up..it was students marching
to honor those that died that horrible day, our taxista,young,hip, explained what was going on. Freaked us out..Kent State again.

Anonymous said...

more like tianenmen square

Anonymous said...

"...the National Security Archive has assembled a collection of some of our most interesting and richly-detailed documents about Tlatelolco, many recently released in response to the Archive's Freedom of Information Act requests, all obtained from the secret archives of the CIA, FBI, Defense Department, the embassy in Mexico City and the White House..."

Penny Auction said...

Hi,
I am glad to found your blog in which you offered information about first draft of history. I really update my knowledge after read your post which is really informative read for me.

Thanks for nice sharing!

Online Auction Script said...

Fabulous sharing!
I appreciate the information which you offered here and I update my knowledge after read your post.