Monday, January 03, 2011

The Not-Me Decade Begins

We saw this headline in yesterday's paper - "In Mexico There Is A Growing Intolerance of Foreigners" - and though, man, don't we know it! It's only fear of someone hurting the perro that prevents us from turning this blog into a 24/7 bitchfest about the annoying gringos around here!


Then we realized they were talking about Central Americans, of whom we really don't have any opinion. Mexicans are looked down on by all of North America and half of South America, but Central Americans are basically the Mexicans of Mexico. We have no idea what the inter-Central American breakdown is - is it better to be Guatemalan or Honduran? - but we're willing to bet El Salvadoreans are at the bottom of the list, which makes us wonder who they look down on.

Then we saw today that "Mexico Plans Immigration Shake-up," and thought, man, it's about time! We can't think of a government agency that has caused us more hassles than INM. Turns out that, again, the main concern is the kidnapping and murdering of Central Americans, not the paperwork problems of gringos renewing their FM3s. The white man just can't catch a break in the world anymore.

8 comments:

GDL said...

I saw the INM shake up article and thought FINALLY, until I actually read it. ( I am still waiting for the renewal of my FM2, Maybe the kings will bring it next week.) I wonder if Nicaraguans rank lower than el sals ....
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-12-30-foreignimmigration30_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

Anonymous said...

"Mexicans are looked down by half of South America"

Sources please. I think you made this up. They like Mexicans everywhere in South America. They watch their TV programs, soap operas, and Mexican celebrities like Chespirito, Thalia, and Anahi are some of the most popular celebrities in Brazil, for example. Just search youtube for "rebelde rio", Chapolin Colorado, etc. etc. The Argentinian community in Mexico is the largest outside Argentina, even larger than the ones in Madrid or Miami.

I really think you made that up.

Burro Hall said...

Of course I made that up. Is this your first visit to the internet?

I do think it's possible for countries like Argentina, Brazil, Chile to enjoy Mexico's celebrities while still feeling an overall sense of national superiority. Carlos Santana and Salma Hayek quite popular in the United States.

Anonymous said...

The kidnapping and murder of central american immigrants will not change because of the shake-up in mexico's immigration department.

Corrupt cops are part of mexico's cultural make-up and cops are responsible for much of the extortion and kidnapping of central american immigrants.

The mexican government can't even prevent mexican cops from being an integral part of the violent narco business.

The lucky central american immigrants will reach Arizona, a state where there are NO mass murders, kidnappings, rape and extortion of immigrants.

Mexico's Finest said...

Mexico's finest cops at work today in Nuevo Leon.

http://bcove.me/0xs00jge

Justin Bieber said...

Now it will be apparent why Narcos have my poster on their walls, I am dating Selena Gomez. But WTF is it with my fans sending her death threats?

Lover of All said...

I'm the whitest looking Guatemalan born US citizen with a Salvadorian Father, a Peruvian-Japanese step father and a Guatemalan mother. I live in Mexico with my US born Mexican-Nicaraguan triple citizen wife living the American Dream. I swear I'm not making this up!

Am I just simply fucked, or do I get to hate something too?

Burro Hall said...

You get to look down on Pacific Islanders. Pinche Fijians!