Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cinco de Burro

Burro Hall is about as "Hecho en Mexico" as a New York City taxicab, but most readers are probably too young to remember its roots in the fertile soil of Meridian, Mississippi (fertile thanks to the decomposing bodies of civil rights activists buried in shallow graves, but fertile nonetheless). It was on this day five years ago, having hastily checked in to a La Quinta Inn after golfball-sized hail and numerous tornado-warning broadcasts mentioning the specific highway we were driving on persuaded us that continuing our southward trajectory was even foolhardier than everyone had believed, we posted our first entry on Burro Hall. Re-reading it today, you can see how this blog seemed to emerge fully-formed, like a thunderbolt-wielding Athena from the forehead of Zeus.

Partly in a orgy of self-congratulation, and partly because The Man is keeping us kind of busy as of late, we're declaring the next 30 days "Cinco de Burro," and will be padding out our already-thin content with some of our favorite posts of the last half-decade. Readers are encouraged to observe this month-long celebration in their own way, and post testimonials and words of praise in comments. Long time readers are asked to reflect on what this blog has meant to their lives - particularly, what might you have accomplished had you not spent however many days, weeks or months scrolling through this nonsense in the first place.

8 comments:

Dave said...

You're implying that I'm not the only one? I don't lavish praise too often, though I've slipped a few times here. I do my best to practice restraint, though occasionally some post overwhelms me.

By the way, I think I discovered BH after El Guapo in DC quit blogging and I was laugh-deprived for several months. You've been ample replacement.

Incidentally, I find the perspective of the burros in the photo a bit, er, curious for a restaurant.

Burro Hall said...

I guess now it can be told. Just as Burro Hall is not, in fact, an enormous multinational operation with a board of directors and a multitudinous staff, you, Dave, are my only reader. Maybe I'll scrap the blog and we can just chat with each other on Facebook.

Dave said...

I'm aghast at this revelation. I was thinking there were, maybe 6 of us.

BH or FB doesn't matter as much as the opportunity to keep up with your staff photos. The perrro has wormed his way into my heart it seems.

John said...

Looks like your admitted readership is swelling! Julie and I continue to keep close tabs on the hilarity...keeps us anchored to the craziness of Mexico that we miss so much! Keep up the awesome work.

http://imustbecrazytoliveinmexico.blogspot.com/ said...

3 readers and counting. That should be enough to keep your staff of 60 going. Keep up the good work. I wouldn't be current on events without you guys (and gals).

Dave said...

And by the way, congratulations on your fifth! As it seems to be a slow day, and your post put me in a sentimental mood, I've tried to remember at what point in history I started following your blog. Seems to be nearly 3 years. God only knows what that means in terms of lost productivity, but I've had some great laughs along with the occasional tidbit of useful information.


I was going to comment on your original post, but it was censored by my ever-thoughful wife, so I'll just say there's a notable change in style ....

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

You should know that the 7 devoted readers of the Tex[t]-Mex Galleryblog (along with the 100,000 others who cross its portal looking for naked salma hayek postings) are regular readers of Burro Hall!

Abrazos,

TexMex Nericcio
http://textmex.blogspot.com

Burro Hall said...

Yes, but only because I link to your naked Salma Hayek pix...