Thursday, November 29, 2012

Carlos Slim Is Just Fucking With Us Now

What's the point of a blog if you can't whine about the petty inconveniences in life? So we return from a few days in El Norte to discover the maid had "tidied up" several loose piece of paper, including the phone bill, which had passed its due date and thus could not be paid through the usual method: taking it to the Oxxo convenience store. (Yes, that's actually the usual method.) So we had to drive down to the TelMex Drive-Thru Payment Center. But since only a crazy person would give up the prime parking space in front of our office before 4pm (the street can be totally empty of traffic, and the second you start to pull out of your space, two cars will magically appear behind you and get in a shouting match over the who was there first), we waited unto 4:01 - only to discover the Payment Center closes at 4:00, because God forbid they be open at a time that's convenient for their customers (who are in no danger of switching phone companies because there are no other phone companies).

So this morning, we decide to combine paying the phone bill with our morning constitutional, only to be turned away from the Drive-Thru Payment Center because we were on foot. We argued that the "driving" part was a convenience for customers, but not in and of itself the purpose of the Payment Center, which is, as we understand it, for the payment of bills, which, thanks to our possession of a phone bill and money, and our proximity to a TelMex representative, we were perfectly capable of doing right then and there, on foot. We'll let you guess how well that went.

We walked the half-mile back home, pulled out of our magnificent parking space, which was gobbled up within seconds by a taxi (which presumably had no reason to park here, but simply couldn't resist such a space), drove to the TelMex Drive-Thru Payment Center, and handed the same teller our bill for 1,042 pesos and three crisp 500 peso notes.  This being Mexico, she asked if we had exact change, which we did not.  Upon which we received 458 pesos (roughly 35 dollars) change in coins.


Bienvenidos a Mexico, where the monopoly owned by the World's Richest Man has no paper money on the premises.  

9 comments:

Mexfiles said...

God, Queretaro is backwards. I usually pay ahead, since I pass the billing office fairly regularly. Even here in Mazatlán we have walk-in 24-hour machines (you punch in your phone bill, and insert the money) and even if service is off, it'll be reconnected the next day. But, still, do end up with a huge pile of change now and again.

Brick said...

That's a spectacular amount of change. You see that and you have to ask where the hell do they keep that amount of shrapnel vs a few hundred pesos in bills? My guy went to the Oxxo the other morning around 10 a.m. or so to buy me a garafon of water but they didn't have change for the 50 peso note I'd given him so he had to try some other OXXO. I guess they were hoping their first 25 customers would all pay with exact change so as to provide the days float. A large part of my daily routine is trying to get rid of change.

jaxinmexico said...

Me? I can't GET enough change. Absolutely no one in San Miguel de Allende can break anything larger than a 100 peso bill. (No one I'll be seeing on my ever-so-frugal budget in any event, and particularly not taxi drivers.) I hoard change and am green with envy.

Setting that aside, I do so wonder why the supermarkets *must* give me a 500 pesos bill when NOBODY can change it.

Ah, Mexico.

Don Alberto Doyle said...

Hey, I just got my resident visa, and after only 17 trips to La Oficina de Migracion. I could write about it, leave the text in a foot locker in my attic for my illegitimate children to find and publish, but I think that's been done already. Still, I rather fancy the notion of Mexican bureaucracy being known by future generations as Doyle-esque.

- Mexican Trailrunner said...

I thought, when I glanced down at the photo, that that was how you returned to pay your bill. . .I say, save it and pay your bill with it next month.
Si, viva Mexico!

Enjoying the blog, thanks.

viajero said...

I withdrew 3000 pesos from a bank the other day,the teller gave me 3 one thousand peso bills,I just laughed and asked her if it was a broma,donde chingados iban a tener cambio para estos billetes?

Burro Hall said...

Jesus. In six years here, I've never even seen one. I had to Google it.

Julie said...

Ahh that is awesome & makes me miss the daily "exact change?" verbal battles... But seriously, that many 10 peso coins? You will be the most popular taxi passenger & Oxxo client FOR MONTHS.

Anonymous said...

Fuck Carlos slime o slim viejo culero forma liying.